Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Wet Ceiling

  

In the past two weeks, we have had two heavy, heavy rains with inches of rain each time.  The first rain had blowing winds and my bathroom ceiling was affected.  A large area about 4 feet long and a foot wide was wet.  My apartment maintenance man came down and reviewed the situation.  He went onto the roof and applied some type of spray can sealant.  Then after the last rain of late last week, I noticed a second wet area in the same general areas of the first rain event.  I went to see the resident manager yesterday and expressed my concerns and suggesting they have professional roofer access the situation.  As a homeowner for over 56 years, I know a little bit about maintaining a house and my rule number one has always been “Call in a professional” for the big jobs.  Today, the maintenance man is coming back and going into the attic to see what is going on.  To get into the attic you have to go through the ceiling area in my second bedroom.  My second bedroom is my sewing room!  This morning I have moved, stacked, rearranged and anything else I needed to do so he could get his ladder in there.  My apartment looks like a war zone.  If the insulation is wet, I am sure they should cut it out and replace it ASAP.  But first, they need to resolve where the water is coming into the attic.  Praying for patience and optimism in a resolution.  ASAP.

UPDATE:   

The maintenance man came this morning and went up into the attic.  The good news, insulation is not wet.  Thank goodness.  He was able to determine how water is running from the roof into the attic along the studs/beams/sheetrock.  It is related to a vent pipe not being installed correctly and the type of vent pipe the builder used.  Will definitely require a professional roofer to correct and repair.  Remember, this is an apartment I live in with layers of managers and management company rules, etc.  I was told that my apartment is not the only one that has issues so hopefully, a roofer can be hired to make necessary repairs before another rainstorm comes into our area.


No comments:

Post a Comment